As we all know, when students write about topics that excite them and that they know a lot about, they are more likely to invest the time and effort necessary to create an excellent final product. This writing lesson begins with an engaging activity, brainstorming, and discussion that will culminate in a writing assignment in which students will be excited to participate.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1;Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1.A;Introduce claim(s) and organize the reasons and evidence clearly.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1.B;Support claim(s) with clear reasons and relevant evidence, using credible sources and demonstrating an understanding of the topic or text.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1.C;Use words, phrases, and clauses to clarify the relationships among claim(s) and reasons.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1.D;Establish and maintain a formal style.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1.E;Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from the argument presented.
For the full writing prompt, download the PDF.