We have all known for a very long time that online platforms for education are a wave of the not-too-distant future. However, we probably didn’t previously realize how soon we would all be plunged into the world of online/distance learning because of a worldwide pandemic and the uncertainty that has accompanied it. For years, there have been a lot of college-level courses that can be partially or completely taken online. Not only that, but more and more high school, middle school, and elementary school teachers are using online platforms like Google Classroom to enrich student learning. Learning to operate and manage an account on such a platform is a critical skill that students need to master. This can begin as early as kindergarten.
What is Gradebook in Google Classroom?
Gradebook is exactly what it sounds like – a way to record, monitor and manage students’ grades. Google Classroom has so many features that can be beneficial for both teachers and students at any grade level. It gives teachers the option to post assignments to an online platform that students can view at a later time. Teachers are able to post additional resources like tutorial videos to help struggling students.
Perhaps one of the most useful aspects of Google Classroom is Gradebook. As stated earlier, Gradebook is a component of Google Classroom in which you can record student grades, but there is so much more to it than that. It is a way for teachers to more easily and accurately keep up with students’ grades and assignment statuses. Google Classroom Gradebook makes it easy for teachers to keep their gradebook completely online. It creates a format that is easily accessible and promotes more communication between instructor and student.
Benefits of Gradebook in Google Classroom
- One place for everything – One of the best aspects of Google Gradebook is that you can easily see all students’ grades in one place. It is very easy to quickly identify who has not turned in assignments.
- No more calculators – Gradebook is also beneficial because you can instantly see which students are struggling because of the running averages that are displayed for each student. Whether you are using a point system or percentages, the calculations are done for you in the program. So no more squinting over the calculator late into the night to average grades.
- Customizable – It is very easy to customize how you grade. You can choose to use a point system or percentages. You can choose to calculate a straight average or weight different categories according to their importance. These customizations are very easy to make as you enter assignments.
- Communication – Gradebook is also a great way to communicate with students. We all know how important it is for students to receive timely feedback. When feedback is educative and given quickly, it can be very effective and beneficial in the learning process. Gradebook provides you as the teacher with the opportunity to communicate feedback on assignments to students privately. Students can also respond to the teacher privately. This communication is only seen by the teacher and the student. Also, Gradebook is so easy to use, you will be able to get that information back to students quickly so they can process corrections and enhance their learning.
- Preparation – Probably the most important aspect of using Google Classroom Gradebook is for the purpose of preparation. Using an online platform like this is a great way to prepare students for so many life activities sure to come. Earlier I said you can begin using this as early as kindergarten…yes, kindergarten! By simply teaching students to log into their Google Classroom account and complete very simple tasks like “choose your favorite picture and copy and paste it into your reply to your teacher”, you can increase students’ proficiency in technology, which is an integral part of their education. At each level, the tasks can be more content related and the technology will become second nature.
How to Use Gradebook in Google Classroom
The first step, if you have not already done so, is to set up your account in Google Classroom. This is actually very straightforward. Go to classroom.google.com and follow the prompts. Once you have created your classroom, you simply add students. After adding students, and when you are ready to start entering grades, there is a button at the top of the page that says “grades”. Click on that button and follow the prompt to begin entering assignments. There are so many ways to customize grading and settings as mentioned earlier. This is a tool that can be very useful for teachers and students. It is certainly worth taking a look at. You may never go back to the traditional gradebook again!