I know this is soooo last year, but I still think its fun for a throwback summer blog post :)
Inspired by the Facebook 25 things phenomenon, here are 25 fun facts about teachers and teaching. Here we go!
1. Socrates is considered one of the world’s first formal teachers… he died of hemlock poisoning in prison. Think about it.
2. According to Time.com, “Happy teachers, [compared to admittedly unhappy teachers], were more religious, less troubled by conscience and politics. More of them than of the malcontents were married. And they averaged 7½ years older, 10 lb. heavier.”
3. Lead OED definition for teacher: 1. That which shows or points out; an indicator; the index-finger. Obs. rare.
4. 1% of teachers entered the field “accidentally” according to an NEA poll.
5. Despite the common professional myth, teachers do not have to wear jean jumpers, bedazzled sweaters/sweatshirts or holiday themed earrings… but it is strongly encouraged.
6. According to Google, the world’s best teacher is yourself.
7. Nearly three out of four (73%) enter teaching because of their desire to work with young people. And nearly seven out of 10 teachers (68%) cite working with kids as the reason for remaining in the profession.
8. "When asked what gift they would most like to receive from their students, nearly half of all teachers say a simple "thank you" will suffice, according to a recent National Education Association online poll."
9. As of 3/4/09, Edward Urspringer of Arroyo High School in El Monte, California is the highest rated teacher on http://www.ratemyteacher.com/. Way to go Ed!
10. 71% of teachers are women.
11. Albus Dumbledore is my all-time favorite fictional teacher.
12. Boston Latin School in Boston, Mass. is the oldest public school in America. It was founded April 23, 1635.
13. “Teacher” is the 523 most commonly used word in the English language. (FYI: “the” is #1; “please” is 790; “thank you” does not appear on the list).
14. Principals in the UK are called headmasters, which is kind of bada** (not as much when it’s the female headmistress).
15. Teachers have been fired or suspended for posting on Facebook/MySpace in Florida, Colorado, Tennessee, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Texas… and that’s just the ones I know about.
16. Many consider teaching a vocation more than a profession – that’s an idealist’s way of saying the pay stinks.
17. The average teacher spends 11.6 hours a week on non-compensated duties.
18. As of today, we are about 2 weeks into traditional summer vacation… give or take a week. Enjoy it!
19. There are about 6.2 million American teachers.
20. The average US teacher receives 2.7 free tote bags a year (ok, I just made that up, but it seems about right).
21. Like Pavlov’s dogs, teachers have learned to salivate at the sound of a bell (specifically the final school bell of the day).
22. Almost 50% of teachers quit in the first five years.
23. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), average teacher salaries for K-12 from $47,040 for K teachers to over $52,500 for HS teachers.
24. Students pursue careers in business when the economy is booming and education when the economy is busting.
25. The bad news: competition is on its way. The good news: student teachers for everyone!
The recent ongoing pandemic has schools reimagining how they celebrate their...
With the school year coming to a close, providing closure for students is...
Delivering quality education to students through eLearning can be difficult....
With the move to eLearning, educators must find creative ways to keep student...
Differentiated literacy instruction is vital in elementary classrooms to reach...
What would you put in your 25 Things About Teachers? Share in the comments section!